Wednesday, December 9, 2009

FIRE CALL!! and lots more!

Greetings from Station H!



Let me preface this first story. We live so close to our town's fire department that if you threw a rock at it, it would probably land in the parking lot! (I wouldn't try that though!) For years Jared and I have raced to the front porch to watch the fire trucks go roaring by with screaming sirens and blinding lights, whenever the fire siren goes off. So when the fire siren rang last Thursday night, we went running to the front porch to watch! (Nowadays Owen tags along every once in a while. He's not nearly as enthusiastic about fire fighting as we are) Within a period of less than a minute, two tanker trucks and rescue truck left one right behind the other. It was quite a site to behold!!


We have a tradition of reading an advent story every year. Its called Jotham's Journey by Arnold Ytreeide. You can find it at Christian Book Distributors. It's an AWESOME book, and I highly recommend it! This is our FIFTH year of reading it, and each time I love it!


I like to collect cards as a minor hobby. Here are a few I've acquired over the last few months:


This one I purchased myself for 25 cents at a local thrift shop.




This one was given to me by my grandmother, Meema. She got it as a souvenir for me when she went to South Dakota! Thanks Meema!!!!

Again this one was given to me by Meema as a reminder that Christmas was coming near.

Tomorrow my OTHER grandmother is coming to stay the night. She flies out of our airport Wednesday morning to go to D.C. to visit my Uncle Jeff, her son. She lives three hours north of us. She'll fly in again next week and spend another night before heading home. Then about a week later we are going up there!!! (the first time in almost two years) Gotta go now, until next time enjoy this week's "Nathan's Recipe of the Week"

Nathan




Nathan's Recipe of the Week!!!



Pan Rolls


2 pkg active dry yeast
1 c warm water (105 to 115 degrees)
1 c scalded milk
1c butter
2/3 c sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs, beaten
8 c sifted all-purpose flour


1. Sprinkle yeast into water. Let stand for a few minutes, then stir until dissolved.

2. Pour hot milk over butter, sugar, and salt. Cool to lukewarm; add yeast, eggs, and half of flour. Beat well.

3. Add enough more flour to make a dough that will not stick to the sides of the bowl. Turn out onto floured surface and knead lightly. Put in greased bowl, cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 1/2 hours.

4. Punch down and turn out on board. Shape into 50 balls and put close together in greased shallow pans.* Let double about 30 minutes.

5. Brush with melted butter and bake in preheated 425 degree oven for 20 minutes.

Yields 50

*I used one 9x13 glass baking dish and one 8x8 glass baking dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment